4/4/13

4/4 English III



4/4
Add the following notes about metaphor, simile, personification, alliteration, internal/external rhyme, repetition, onomatopoeia to R16 Cnotes. Raven packet distributed. R17-R18 Due.

Alliteration:
Repeated consonant sounds occurring at the beginning of words (within or at the end of words is called consonance)
Alliteration signifies importance, makes words memorable
 Example: She was wide-eyed and wondering while she waited for Walter to waken.

Proper alliteration is NOT a repetition of letters; it is a repetition of sound.
For example, never and knight alliterate because they begin with the same consonant sound.
   Conversely, even though tin and thank begin with the same letter, they do not alliterate because they don’t begin with the same consonant sound.

Onomatopoeia: Words that mimic or sound like what they describe
   Example: “woosh”, “beep”,“click”, “slither”
External Rhyme: a repetition of identical or similar sounds in two or more different words at the end of a line of poetry
Example:
Makes the phrase or line more memorable The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house all that cold, cold, wet day.

Internal Rhyme: A repetition of identical or similar sounds in two or more words within a line of poetry

Example: “Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak, and weary.”
Repetition: Repeating words or phrases
 Used for emphasis; can unify a poem
  Example:
            Because I do not hope to turn again
Because I do not hope
Because I do not hope to turn....
Emphasizes how he does not have hope

Refrain: Repeating words or phrases
 Used for emphasis; can unify a poem
  Example:
            Because I do not hope to turn again
Because I do not hope
Because I do not hope to turn....
Emphasizes how he does not have hope
Simile: A comparison of unlike things using “like” or “as”
Example: His feet were like boats.

Metaphor: A comparison of unlike things without using like or as; implied through to be verbs or words that don’t typically go together
Example: His feet were boat

Personification: giving human characteristics to things, animals, or ideas.
Example: The wind threw me across the playground.
From MORD: …there came from the brazen lungs of the clock so musical a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical…

Identify which device is present and explain how you know it’s that device.
1. I look around, my heart a jackhammer in my chest, blood thudding in my ears.
2. Each breath is like inhaling fire, and I think I’m weeping.
3. He leaves me in a wide, windowless corridor crammed with people sitting on metallic folding chairs.
4. The sky was a deep black when the phone shook me from my sleep.
5.Her orange and crooked grin made me uneasy.
6. The chair grabbed me and wouldn’t let me leave the room.
7.Her laugh was like that of a hyena.
8.I like long, scenic walks around the turquoise ocean.
9. Her caramel colored car was hideous.
10.She tapped her fingers against the table. 

R19-Raven Packet distributed to students. Students are asked to work in pencil to avoid mistakes or redoing packets. Students also directed to mark one device at a time.